Good dental hygiene is important to protect your teeth and gums. It is also important for overall health since oral diseases are related to heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and other systemic conditions affecting the whole body. Fluoride in your toothpaste is that the fluoride will help reduce the demineralization process, which is the first stage to tooth decay hence it is recommended to go for fluoride free remineralizing toothpaste.Part of maintaining good dental hygiene is regularly visiting your regular dentist for a professional cleaning and check-up. So how often should you visit a dentist like the one at Allure Dental Clinic?
It is dependent on the age
The American Dental Association recommends that adults 18 years old and older visit the dentist every six months for a checkup. You can also look for a dentist in Round Lake Beach IL on the internet and schedule an appointment as they are the best, most experienced, and well trained dentists in the region.Children should be seen at least once every six months for routine cleanings and checkups since their teeth are growing rapidly during that time, which causes a lot of plaque to build up between the gum line and tooth surfaces if not removed properly.
Some dentists will recommend a shorter period
Some dentists recommend seeing them every 3-4 months for routine cleanings and checkups, but that is not necessary unless your dentist recommends it or you have a condition such as gum disease, periodontitis, where the gums are receding away from the teeth surface. The following are conditions that would cause you to visit the dentist sooner than the recommended six months:
- If you have gum diseases
Suppose you have a history of gum disease, periodontitis, or cavities and don’t want to deal with all the hassle caused by this condition (and who does). In that case, it is recommended that you go every 3-4 months for routine cleanings until things are under control. Gum disease is responsible for causing cavities and tooth loss, so if you have this condition, then it will lead to a lot of trouble in the future. More frequent visits to the Calgary orthodontist can help to alleviate these conditions.
- If you have systemic conditions
Suppose you have a special condition such as diabetes, kidney disease, or any other systemic condition. In that case, it is best to see your dentist every 3-4 months for routine cleanings until things are under control. You probably will need touch-up cleaning once in a while.
- If you are pregnant
Pregnant women should go at least once a year for routine checkups and cleanings. This is because hormonal changes make the gums more sensitive, leading to gum disease, so it’s best to be seen regularly until you have your baby.
- If you have recurrent acid reflux
If you have a history of acid reflux disease / GERD and you’re suffering from bad breath (halitosis) as well, then it’s recommended to see your dentist every 3-4 months for cleanings.
- If you have a mouth appliance
If you have a mouth appliance such as braces or retainers, then it’s best to see your dentist every 3-4 months for routine cleanings until things are under control since these types of devices can get dirty and cause problems such as cavities if not cleaned properly.,
- If you use tobacco products
If you smoke or use tobacco products such as cigarettes, cigars, or chewing tobacco, you should see your dentist every 3-4 months for routine cleanings.
What happens during the dental checkup?
- Periodontal checkup – the dentist will examine how much periodontium you have left and also make sure there are no signs of inflammation. The mouth is also checked for oral cancer. If your dentist suspects a tumor in your head, they would recommend additional tests to rule out cancer.
- Dental exam – The dental examiner will look into how much plaque has accumulated on each tooth’s surface, along with its color. In addition to this examination, they will also check your gums and tongue to see if they are in good condition.
- Dental x-rays – one of the most common dental checkups, where radiation is used to create a clear image of your teeth; it will be done for both the upper and lower jaw since these two parts have different functions that need attention. The x-ray allows dentists to check for cavities, tooth sensitivity, and other dental issues.
- Professional cleaning – you will be asked about any changes in your oral hygiene as well as the type of food or beverages that could cause such a situation; brushing alone is not enough, so it’s good if they can schedule a cleaning appointment.
A regular dental checkup is a part of maintaining excellent overall health. How often you visit the dentist depends on several factors such as age, health conditions, and if you use tobacco products. Depending on your situation, your dentist may also advise you on when to visit their clinic. However, if you maintain healthy dental practices, the recommended period is six months.
Visit Also: Bert Kreischer Net Worth