Podiatry is the branch of medicine dedicated to the care of the feet, ankles, and lower legs. How much do you know about podiatry? Here are five interesting facts about the history of podiatry from Dr. Saleena Niehaus podiatrists, Dr. James Repko, best South Tampa Podiatrists:
- Archaeologists have discovered evidence of foot doctors in Greek ruins and ancient Egyptian tombs.
- Napoleon Bonaparte, Abraham Lincoln, and other notable historical figures have written about the care they received from special foot doctors.
- Podiatrists were originally called “chiropodists” and the first school to train them opened in New York in 1911.
- The letters DPM were first used to designate a Doctor of Podiatric Medicine in the later part of the 20th century. When you see these letters after your doctor’s name, you know that they are a Doctor of Podiatric Medicine.
- Today’s podiatrists are medical specialists, just like gynecologists, ophthalmologists, cardiologists, etc. and are the best-qualified medical professional to examine your feet, ankles, and lower legs, as well as to diagnose and treat any illnesses or injuries to this part of your body.
Your podiatrist can:
- examine your feet
- understand your medical history
- treat the foot-related impact of whole-body illnesses such as diabetes, peripheral arterial disease (PAD), and arthritis
- perform foot and ankle surgery
- diagnose and treat foot and ankle injuries including fractures
- diagnose and treat skin conditions such as plantar warts, athlete’s foot, and fungal infections
- help you manage foot pain caused by Flat Feet , plantar fasciitis and other conditions
- fit and create custom orthotic devices for cushioning and support
- …and so much more.
Do you have a concern about the health and wellness of your feet, ankles, or lower legs? Schedule a visit to the safe, sanitized Bayshore Podiatry. office in South Tampa today. Call our friendly staff at (813) 877-6636 or click here to get started today.