One of the best things about this digitized era is having everything on demand. From cab-hailing services to video streaming, people have all the necessities and luxuries of life at their fingertips. You feel like watching something and can stream it from a trusted and loaded streaming service, such as BBC iPlayer.
To keep up with the new episodes of Miranda, Requiem, Detectorists, and Keeping Faith, BBC iPlayer is your best option. It is one of the UK’s top on-demand video streaming services that British ex-pats direly miss when they earn their livelihood in another country.
With the increased number of British ex-pats in South Africa, it is vital to know how to watch BBC iPlayerabroad. It can be helpful for residents of othercountries, including Canada, Australia, and the US.
Is BBC iPlayer blocked in South Africa?
BBC iPlayer is only available in the UK. Due to geo-restrictions, people in South Africa cannot watch BBC iPlayer as the IP address from South Africa is picked by the geo-trackers, and access is denied. Since this on-demand video streaming platform is only available in the UK, accessing it from anywhere around the world demands the use of a VPN.
Unblocking BBC iPlayer in South Africa
Geo-restrictions and specific legal licensing issuesmake it impossible for viewers of South Africa and the countries mentioned aboveto watch BBC iPlayer. The only tweak that works and is effective for unblocking this service abroadis to hide the actual location and use a virtual network.
While this might be risky for the subscription, as users can be blocked for such acts if caught, using a trusted VPN is the only solution.A VPN hides your actual location from a South African IP address and provides you a list of virtual IP addresses corresponding to a location in the UK.
This way, you can trick BBC iPlayer into believing you are streaming videos from an unrestrictedregion. It allows you to surf through the app without glitches and stream as many videos as you want. A step-by-step guide is as follows:
- Choose a reliable VPN of your choice
- Download the VPN on your PC, Android, iOS, or Mac device
- Sign up and launch your VPN account
- Now search for a location in the UK
- Select one UK IP address from the list that the searchprovides
- Ensure that your actual IP address is masked and your IP now corresponds to one in the UK
- Lastly, go to the BBC iPlayer apps or website and browse without hesitation
Unblocking BBC iPlayer using a DNS Proxy
Another way around watching your favorite BBC iPlayer contentin South Africa is to use DNS Proxy. Although VPN is the safest way around surpassing geo-restrictions, DNS Proxies faster without providing full data encryption for the users.
It operatesby redirecting proxies before the geo-location trackers determine the user’s IP Address. Thus, a DNS Proxy serves the same purpose of enabling users to access geo-restricted content from anywhere.
To watch BBC iPlayer in South Africa using a DNS Proxy, follow these steps:
- Choose a reliableDNS Proxy and head over to its website to sign up
- Configure the DNS Proxy on your streaming device with the help of tutorials, videos, or guides
- Open the BBC iPlayer website and surf freely
Tips on Selecting the Best VPN for BBC iPlayer
- The foremost thing to look for in a VPN is its connection speed. The faster the speed, the quicker you can start unblocking yourfavoriteshows on the OTT platforms in higher quality.
- It is also essential to see how many US servers the VPN provides. A good VPN should have servers in the US and UK. Unblocking BBC iPlayer depends entirely on a VPN having servers in the UK.
- Unlimited bandwidth is also an indispensableproperty of a good VPN. It allows you to watch your preferred shows without any limit.
- Most importantly, good and trusted VPN providers have excellent commendable customer support, offering strict security, round-the-clock privacy setups,ad-blocking, affordability, and compatibility with multiple devices.
Devices Supported by BBC iPlayer
The following devices are fully compatible withBBC iPlayer:
- LG TV
- VIZIO SmartCast TV
- Fire TV and Fire TV Stick
- Apple TV (4th gen onwards)
- Android TV
- Web Browsers
- Android Phone and Tablet